Sunday, May 04, 2003

An end to my sloth? Unlikely.

A few days back I was elected co-chair of community government at my school, which basically makes me (and my friend Hannah, who has also been elected) in charge of the student council and morning meetings. So, without further ado, I give you some filler material...I mean vital...oh who cares?

Nomination Speech by North
Well, do the sickness of the well respected, articulate, upstanding member of The Community, Isaac Starobin, I am giving Brian's nominating speech. In elections, we look for many things in a candidate, vision, commitment, experience, motivation, not committing crimes, and speaking his mind. Brain can work well with the administration as demonstrated by his role of junior class president. Brain worked hard on our school constitution. Brain is also not afraid to speak his mind. When Henry Kissenger arrived here, Brain expressed his displeasure in a bold and daring editorial in the pages of Tower. This shows how much he values the community at large. I do, however have personal interaction with Brain. Although I might not always agree with Brain's political positions, I do say that he is a logical and rational thinker, unlike myself. Although I may leave Brain "Hanging over the perverbial sink of life" sometimes, I think that we should all respect and vote for Brain Pugh… and stuff


My Campaign Speech

Thank you for that excellent introduction, North. For those of you who don’t know me I’m Brian Pugh. And I’m running for co-chair. I have some experience in student government and have some ideas of my own. I look forward to working to improve this school and will greatly value any ideas that you are willing to share and any effort you are willing to contribute.
I’m here today to talk to you about the future of our school, a future that has been shaped in part by the Constitution drafted by the student government. As junior class president and a member of student government, I’m proud of what we accomplished with this constitution, but I do not believe that our work is finished.
When the constitution was written, the executive committee had it discussed by students in their history classes. We made some changes based on the feedback received, but many good ideas weren’t incorporated into the final version of the constitution that was adopted by the community. With the help of other member of the executive committee I have put together a series of proposals to address students concerns. The first batch is aimed at increasing the voice of students in the student government. In the event that legislation becomes bottled up in executive committee, I think that students ought to be able to use a discharge petition with an appropriate number of signatures to force it to a community wide vote. This measure will prevent legislative jams and will also serve as a check on community government that can be exercised by the students themselves. I also believe that students ought to have the final say over who would best represent them in the community government. I think that the requirements for running for student government ought to be lowered, because it should be up to the students to determine who is best qualified to serve in their name.
My other proposal has to deal with “indirect jurisdiction”, under which a student can be punished for infractions committed off campus. As it stands “indirect jurisdiction” gives the administration a virtual blank check. Though I think that “indirect jurisdiction” is applicable in some cases, I think that there ought to be some protection for students. Specifically, Discipline Committee should review all cases that invoke indirect jurisdiction. If the DC find that indirect jurisdiction was called up improperly, then the case should be dropped. I see no reason why so common sense measures shouldn’t be applied to indirect jurisdiction.
Though my goals are fairly limited, they are also realistic and are still is a tall order that it will require a considerable amount of work on the part of the executive committee, students and myself to accomplish them. For my part I pledge to be relentless about passing my proposals and I believe that my previous experience in student government will be very helpful in advancing my agenda and I look forward to seeing my ideas become realities. To those that doubt my commitment, let me assure you that though I frequently don’t take myself seriously, if elected, I will always take the job of co-chair and the trust that you all have put in me very seriously.
__________________
Some folks have told me I gave a bad speech, at first I tried to defend it, but now I just respond by saying "Well, I won didn't I?" Ah, the joys of gloating like the pompous jerk I am.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home