Thursday, April 17, 2003

A First Rate Jerk and Castro Apologist To Boot
Hunter Gray (Hunterbear) writes:

I've personally been quite supportive of the Cuban Revolution since
its onset -- and I certainly continue to be.

As I've noted earlier, I used Wright Mills' excellent Listen Yankee
as a text of mine in a number of sociology courses in the early '60s
and I was an early member of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee.
Although I've never been to Cuba -- and do hope to go at some point
-- I have kept up with things fairly well. And I also know the
history of an important part of the Mexican Revolution -- in whose
tradition I have consistently seen the Cuban Revolution. Granted,
the high water point of the Mexican Revolution was not my particular
war -- my hatch came much later -- but it was my father's in 1913-14.
A 15 year old Indian kid who went down to Boston and shipped out as
cabin boy on a boat which was ostensibly carrying "agricultural
implements" to Mexico, he was on the high seas when he realized they
were actually carrying Winchester 44/40s and ammo to the Zapata side
of the Mexican struggle. That realization struck a ready note of
empathy and resonance within him and, when they landed at Vera Cruz
[where the bodies were stacked six feet deep in the streets], he
joined the Indian side of the Revolution as a gun carrying trooper
and remained with it for over a year -- eventually returning to the
'States via Puerto Rico where he picked up some cash dealing cards in
gambling houses. Much later, as an artist, he established close and
enduring relations with a number of the Mexican Indian artists who,
like himself, had been active in the Mexican struggle. From young
childhood on, I was privileged to know some of those great people.

Since the days of Aaron Burr, the United States has tried
consistently to make everything South of the Border its plantation.
It's used open military might, overt subversion through surrogates,
and clandestine subversion. Virtually no student I've ever taught has
realized, until I told them, that the United States maintains a
formal military base on Cuban territory -- where now, of course, the
U.S. is compounding Sin by violating International law, United States
law and Cuban law through its illegal incarceration of prisoners from
the so-called Afghanistan War.

At the very point, the United States -- using the Afghanistan "War"
as its precedent [that, in turn, building on Clinton's 90 day
bombing of Yugoslavia] -- launched its blatantly illegal and bloody
assault on Iraq, Cuba moved against its Dissidents. Given the
history of the United States in Latin America -- and certainly in and
around Cuba -- and the Bush ties with Cuban fascists in Florida [to
say nothing of Bush relationships with the government of Florida] --
Cuba's actions are certainly understandable. I'm not surprised at the
right wing social democrat and SDUSA types -- and fence straddlers --
who find Cuba an easier personal target than, say, Bush and Ashcroft
and Ridge.

My wife, Eldri, is Saami [Lapp] and Finnish. Frankly, the position
of Cuba vis-a-vis the United States of America, reminds us of what
we've heard about the position of Finland just before Stalin's
unprovoked and opportunistic invasion of that country. The
difference is that the Cubans are well armed and ready -- as they
have been for a long, long time indeed.

Hunter Gray [Hunterbear]
www.hunterbear.org
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'


I subscribe to a left wing mailing list and today I was hit with this nonsense. Its a prime piece of leftist dictator coddling and moral relativisim. I was considering writing some insightful cricitism of this, but instead I'm just going to repeat a bunch of dumb slogans:

THE PEOPLE UNITED, CAN NEVER BE DEFEATED!

NADER FOR PRESIDENT

PHRASE DELETED.....

RESIST US IMPERIALISM

NO BLOOD FOR OIL

Sorry folks, but if your looking for anything brilliant, I recommend you go to another site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home