Sunday, July 27, 2003

The Wall Marches On

Israel security barrier cuts off Palestinians from Jerusalem

I have long been a supporter of a wall (or "security barrier") seperating Israel and Palestine. I think that in the long run, such a barrier would be good for all sides, protecting the Israel from further terrorist attacks and making the occupation less necessary and in the case of the Israeli settlements, less feasible. However, there are problems with the plan:

Not everyone sees the fence as a peacemaker.

On the city's northern outskirts, the barrier reaches just a few steps from Palestinian homes, and some residents fear gunmen will take up positions in their yards to fire on Israeli army patrols, drawing return fire.

"The fence will be one of the reasons for the next war," said Sameeh Abu Ramila, who lives on the West Bank side of the barrier.


Well, I hope I am right about this, unlike my early remarks about Howard Dean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home