Saturday, February 22, 2003

Josh Marhsall Interviews Kevin Pollack
Josh Marshall is one of my favorite bloggers and a writer for a number of public affairs magazines and Kevin Pollack wrote The Threatening Storm and was an advisor to Clinton in the 1990's on Iraq and the Middle East. Anyhow, its an interesting interview about the approaching war with Iraq.

Pollack says that:

"I've always felt that we had to go to war against Iraq sooner rather than later. But I didn't necessarily think it had to be this year. And there were always a whole bunch of things that I wanted to do to make sure that we were ready to go when we did go. But the problem that I face now is that I think we are so deep into this - we are so far down this road - that it is now or never. I think that if we don't go to war this time around I don't think we will ever go to war with Saddam Hussein until he's acquired nuclear weapons. And then he picks the time and place of going to war ... if given my preference I would prefer not to be in the position we're in. But I can't turn back time. And we're in the position we're in. And at this point in time, as messy as it may be, I think that it is now or never. And now is a much better option than never."

Which is about the same as my view on Iraq. The Bush administration could have done things more smoothly, but now that we are where we are we may as well go to war. We're about as close as we are ever going to get to a coalition and to a willing public, the troops are already in the desert, so it would seriously damage our credibility if we didn't fight now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home